Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Nigerian weddings

Hey! Welcome to my blog. I will be posting stuff on Nigerian weddings here and I would love you to pass your comments on any of my posts.

I will talk about Nigerian dates, courtship and weddings. Nigerian weddings can be so time and money consuming. Believe me, if you want to marry a Nigerian woman you need to plan way ahead of time. This is not to scare you but to prepare you. I will be using our preparation as a case study. I am not saying mine would be a very good example of a typical Nigerian wedding but it can serve as a guideline to what can be expected, especially for those new to our lovely culture.

Weddings in Nigeria actually vary depending on the lady's tribe and religious background. It would not be easy talking about the differences across tribes - so what I am going to do is to pick out general trends and mention some tribes that emphasize them more.

I am not an expert in knowing all the tribes in Nigeria, but I have attended several weddings across the Country. Except for religious differences, the wedding plans would have to factor in the lady's tribal group. For instance, we have three major tribes in the country (besides hundreds of others that speak completely different languages from any of the major three and have distinct customs): Hausa in the Northern part, Igbo in the east and Yoruba in the west. If an Igbo man met a Hausa lady and wanted to marry her, he would have to do so according to the Hausa custom or tradition irrespective of where the wedding would be conducted.

For the moslem population, religion tends to completely overshadow culture and traditions; so weddings would be done strictly according to Islamic rites, which would make it alot similar to those found in many other moslem countries.

Not so for the Christian population. Most Christians would pass through traditional wedding, Registry wedding before Church (or white) wedding.

Drop your comments if you have any. thanks

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Marriage is truly a wonderful institution..thats when u get D -1 not that it should be smooth but the couple can face their fears together.I'm personally a fan of gettin it right. I'm happy 4 u guys and wish a blissfull life than any of u're parents had.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your message in my box and even though i had a class, i decided to stop by and see what you had written. I think you have done well with your articles on weddings, the stresses and the convictions that are needed to make marriage work. Your story reads like a novel and i hope you can write many books for the instruction of many who seek guidance for their relationships and other aspects of life.
I will keepm praying that God who began a good work in you both will perfect it. I have no doubt that He will bless you both as you step into the exciting world of marriage.
Do not fear, He has gone ahead.
Take care and dont forget to pray for the rest of us who seek this blessing of marriage
Lash

Rikhartuz said...

Thanks for all your comments. I really do appreciate it. Wish you the same in your own pursuits. Try and come back and read my new posts and also make comments.

Once again thanks